Beauty and the Birds

Friday, November 09, 2007

American Avocet



One of my favorite birds is the American Avocet. I took this image on a trip to Kansas this year. I made a visit to the Quivira National wildlife Refuge near Hays Kansas. This was my first opportunity to take a picture at close range of an Avocet in breeding plummage. The Avocets were very photo friendly. I captured them in several unusual poses. This was one of my favorite. Quivira is a most unusual Refuge. There are many species of birds to see and I was succesful in capturing images of several. There is also other wildlife. Deer were plentiful. I would highly recommend a visit to Quivira at any time of the year. Fall is probably the best time for ducks. Avocets, Black-Necked Stilts and a variety of herons and egrets are plentiful in the spring and summer. If you haven't visited a wildlife refuge it could be one of the best outings you will ever make. There are many spread out over the whole country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home